Thursday, June 10, 2010

Ecclesiastes 4:10

If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! – Ecclesiastes 4:10
We are created to live in community and engage in caring relationships with one another.

Should any of us falter, or have unexpected needs, a friend can come along to lend a hand. But when a person lives in isolation, too “independent” to need or help anybody else, he or she quickly discovers no one is there when trouble comes.

We need one another. Jesus taught us to love our neighbors as ourselves (see Matthew 19:19). Love for one another is not some passive feeling, but a practical response to a need expressed through “compassion in action.”

I love this scripture, it speaks to our need for friends.  Since living here in Italy, I have been severely lacking in friends.  I don't speak the language and it makes it even more difficult.  I think if I needed help I could go downstairs to the Super.  Tom loaded my phone with people from his work, but if I just needed someone on who I could rely..... well, it would just be Tom.  That is not a bad thing, because since being here, we have learned to rely on each other, a much needed lesson!!  God blessed me with this and I've fallen down plenty since being here and he has lovingly picked me up.

This scripture goes along with my absolute favorite verse, 2 Cor 1:4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment