Thursday, August 12, 2010

Revelation 3:17-18

You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. – Revelation 3:17-18





Prior to this passage the writer John calls this church lukewarm. How did they get lukewarm? By trusting in their wealth. They thought that money brings security, but they are advised to purchase things that money can’t buy; the fire of refinement, the white clothing of righteousness, and vision that only God can provide. We are not to confuse what the world calls wealth with what God calls wealth.
Today’s commentary by:Dave Whitehead, Senior Pastor

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
In other words, don't love what you have.received, love that you received and blessed to be abl e to give it away.  I remember my parents doing this once to a bunch of stranded teenagers in Texas.  They were hitchhiking it across Texas and got caught at night with no ride and no clothes for the sudden cold snap.  He brought them into our garage for the night, set up pallets, heaters and snacks for them.   The next morning they fed them a huge pancaked breakfast and sent them on their way.  It was a great lesson for me.  

Another missionary told a couple friend of ours that they couldn't show the filmstrips they were sending because it was based on VCR and TV.  The person went over to the wall, unhooked his TV and VCR and sent it with the man.  It's a luxury to us he said.  Not to those people who might hear the word.  He could afford to get a new TV and even save up for one.  The mission was money strapped and if they had money, they wouldn't have sent for a TV. 

I learned my generosity from my parents, sometimes tooo generous.  But generosity is a gift God has blessed me with.  Using it wisely is the part with which I struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment