Wednesday, July 28, 2010

2 Timothy 1:6-7

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. – 2 Timothy 1:6-7
The apostle Paul pulls no punches with his young protégé, Timothy. Even though Timothy was a timid man, Paul is reminding him that Christian leadership should not be based upon a personality type, but upon reliance upon the Spirit of God.

Each of us has gifts from God that He wants to use. Whether you are timid or aggressive, our hope doesn’t come from our temperament, but from a gifting that is waiting to burst forth into flames as we take the time to fan it. - thought by David Whitehead.

I absolutely needed this thought today when I have had lots of thoughts of my inability in service. I don't speak the language in the country I'm living in.  I don't have any friends here.  My husband travels all the time.  I am alone... save for the internet, I don't speak to anyone for days at a time.  But today, I read this.  Today i got an email from someone I influenced.  Today I talked to my friend via email and encouraged her.  Use the gift you have at the time you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment