Friday, July 23, 2010

Ecclesiastes 1:16-17

I thought to myself, “Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind. – Ecclesiastes 1:16-17
How many times do we need to watch an interview of a successful someone who tells us that once they “made it” they were more dissatisfied than ever? To think that achievement will bring peace flies in the face of current and ancient wisdom. As Ecclesiastes sums it up: the goal is to know God. Jesus promises to bring peace in ways that our greatest achievements never could. To lose that perspective results in a lot of wasted time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment