Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Exodus 20:13

You shall not murder. – Exodus 20:13 (NIV)
I read a commentary that said this. "When we read this 6th Commandment, ‘you shall not murder’, we all sigh a breath of relief, “At least I’m keeping this command!” But remember, Jesus really raised the bar on this when he taught that if we have hate or hard hearts toward another person it is the same as if we murdered them. Ouch."

It also said that we play God when we decide to "remove" a person through hatred or murder.  I guess that I would be guilty of this then, because in my heart, I have hated one woman and one man in my life as to put them six feet under at least a dozen times.  They maligned me and hated me so much that I ran away from God for a while.  They were members of my own church and they were so evil toward me that I reached out in ways I never should have, or maybe would have.  I blame a lot of things in my life on them.  ULTIMATELY, what I did were my own choices.  I chose to behave the way I did.  I chose.  My life, my choice.  I still dislike those two people to a great degree and I cut them out of my life.  And through that, I cut out most people that were attached around them, like you cut out the cancer and the surrounding tissue.

I am learning so much about myself in these daily scripture readings. God has a plan so great and so far above me that I am in awe of how much he loves me.  How much he loves us and puts the world together.  How much is law makes sense in ways that my finite mind can barely grasp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment