Monday, April 12, 2010

Exodus 20:7

You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. – Exodus 20:7

This verse always disturbs me because I worry about using God's name in vain by accident.   That OMG that is frequently used in email or text, I write OM goodness.  I don't say "jesuschrist"  or GAWD.  I also don't say YAHWEH.  I read today concerning this verse that it is more about not using his name to guarantee our own things that would not exhalt God.  for example, if I said, I swear by God that I will do something (that I never intend to do) in order to fool the person into believing me.  That is holding God as a false witness.  Or to swear an Oath by God and then lie.  Or, believe me, I'm a Christian, extorting our following of Christ. That makes better sense to me.  In the Bible, God said  his name is I AM that I AM.  We don't going around saying that.  I don't pray to I AM.  I know him as God.  Father, Lord. It is good to pay attention to how I know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment